Monday, September 20, 2010

Ministry....beyond four walls

So today I was reading through a commentary on the book of acts, it was discussing chapter five where the apostles were arrested for speaking the name of Jesus. After being released from prison the apostles found they could not stop preaching the name of Jesus. Something else that is mentioned, is the idea that they didn't just keep their witnessing to the church building. They went to homes, and took it to the streets. Then it mentioned that "we should not confine ministry to the four walls of the church building." This got me to thinking, going outside the four walls of our church building is exactly what we were called to do. Sometimes however, I think we are living in fear, of what I don't know. Stepping outside the four walls might unlock some possibilities that we never thought of before. This could be something as simple as passing out a bottle of water, playing with our neighbors at the park, or taking time to meet someone new. Something else that popped into my head when thinking about this, is that sometimes we don't step 'outside' because we have this feeling that someone else will do it. The whole time, the other person is thinking I wonder if this time will be different. I was talking with a friend the other day, and one thing she mentioned to me is that we didn't have music on our trip this year, because no one brought a guitar. I thought about how if one person would have decided to bring a guitar, then two things would have happened. 1) We would have one guitar, 2) we would have fifteen guitars. (Sometimes those things just tend to happen.)  However, I think the same things happens when we are supposed to be witnessing to people. Now, before I go any further, I have to make this disclaimer: I am by no means a perfect example of this, and have to in my own life considering stepping out more. With saying that,  I have known of several people who have called for more outreach, but when it came down to it, they wanted more emphasis on themselves and not those outside the church. We have this tendency to thank that because we are a part of the church, that we are the only ones the church should be thinking about. But, it is the sick who need a doctor, not the healthy. While I do not think this is something that is just going to change in the next few minutes, I do think it is time that we/I step outside ourselves for the ministry that is beyond the four walls.

No comments: