Saturday, September 18, 2010

Running

I think John Mayer hides behind is music because he is afraid to face things that are happening in his life. I think we all have something we are running from which we use to try and a fill the void, we use whatever we can get. I think celebrities feel this way because they don't have any one who they feel cares. I am so thankful no only to have a God who cares and is there, but friends who are willing as well. 
I think the question is what are hiding from? 
I know for me it's the fear of failure, that I could never do it, which then is not letting God use me the way he wants to! 
Where is the filling the void with meaningless things going to get us? I think for celebrities they have money so people are willing to look the other way, doesn't there have to be more? There is, because we are looking for something else to make us feel less empty in this world. 
Personally I feel God is the only thing that fills that void because everything else just seems to leave us feeling meaningless and empty. If we chew over the fact that people who we think of a good definition of success don't have it together, then don't we have to understand that there has to be more. If they don't know what it is, then why should we? Well without Christ, does anyone have anything together? Doubtful 
What about those who reject Christ, when do they get to the point in life that there has to be something more? People everywhere need Jesus even those we are willing to look past because we think they have it all together. Apparently it's the people who we think have it all together that really don't! 
Everyone has something that they are running from, which is causing us to hide behind something. Something that stops us from confronting that which is right in front of our face.  Growing up, there were never many times that I can remember that I was told I could do anything. There are many things I wanted to do, that because someone told me they didn’t think I could do it, I never tried. However, my mom was told when I was little that I would never graduate college because I couldn’t read very well and I didn’t understand what I was reading, or what was being read to me. I graduated college, and a semester early at that, but because of that fact I don’t feel like I put forth as much effort as I could have, because I was still under this idea that I couldn’t do something. For me, that is a reason why I hide behind certain things. I have heard that voice all my life that has said, you aren’t good enough, and you can’t do it. While I don’t know that much about John Mayer, or anyone other celebrity for that matter, I think we are all hiding behind something, and for him that just happens to be his music. We have this idea in our heads, that if we spend a lot of time and energy trying to perfect the one thing we know we can handle, then we can put behind us the things that we really don’t want to pester or bother us. There are many times that we play an instrument for example, and are very good at it, but when we aren’t with that one thing, or person that makes us feel important we don’t want to confront what we are really dealing with. 
What is behind? 
I guess the next question that gets me, is what is behind what we are hiding from. What exactly is John Mayer trying to hide by spending endless hours a day playing and perfecting his musicianship? According to the Rolling Stone, John Mayer is looking for a relationship that goes beyond one night stands, and celebrity affairs. He wants an honest relationship where they can share, and find genuine love for each other. So since this hasn’t happened in his life, he is putting his effort, (time, money) into whatever he can which can fill the void. This includes by the way, collecting women’s designers handbags. This is not a question of judging his musicianship, or judging me or you, for what we do, but to question what is the motive of hiding? The question is, what are we looking for? I am afraid of failure, therefore there are many times that I just won’t do something because a) I don’t want to get hurt, b) I don’t want to fail. Something I realized the other day however, was that we actually fail less if we try, because when we don’t try at all, there is no chance for success. One thing that I want to instill in my children, if God ever gives me the chance to have children, is to let them know that they can do whatever they want to do, and I don’t want to be the person that says they can’t do something. That is one reason while I feel so strongly about opening this studio for inner city youth. I want to look at these children, and families and see the longing in their faces. I want to know something they have always wanted to do, and give them a chance, in whatever way they can, to do it. I think the capabilities that God gives us, far out weigh the impossible capabilities we think we could never overcome. In this studio, I want all those children who were always told they can’t, to finally realize they can and that we can help them out, no matter how that is possible. I think the question of what is behind, is to help us examine in our own lives, what we really want, but are spending endless hours trying to avoid. Some people, may not be looking for a relationship, but a dream they have always wanted to accomplish, while others may be looking for a relationship. I think before we can fully grasp the extent of our searching/ longing, is to be able to answer these two questions. 1) What are we running from?, and 2) What are we searching for? Then grasping what we want, might be just as easy as knowing what it is. 

No comments: